Sunday, August 7, 2011

Inspiration and Fun at Tivoli Gardens


Believe it or not, previous to this Saturday I had never stepped foot in Tivoli Gardens! Somehow, even after spending three consecutive summers in Copenhagen I never managed to get myself there! Boy did I choose the best day. The sun was shining and there was not a cloud in the sky (okay it is Denmark, so I am sure there were a few).

Tivoli is a famous amusement park in Denmark which is quite different from amusement parks in the American sense, some even call it a 'pleasure garden'. Although the rides are the main attraction, the park is filled with tons of quaint cafes, beautifully trimmed gardens with flowers galore, sweet little ponds, and lots of outdoor seating for lounging in the sun. Tivioli was opened in 1843 and has been running seasonally ever since. Since Tivoli has been around for over 16 decades, there is an overabundance of fantastic vintage signage to ogle at.

The second we stepped foot inside the park, I was overstimulated by the colors, funky graphics, and elaborate detailing. Take a look at some of the images I captured of Tivoli's old style charm. I hope you get as many new design ideas as I did!

The original signage for the park that sits on over the arch on the main entrance.

Some Parisian inspired art nouveau typography.

Love this 50s inspired script, and I love the fact that this company is based in New York! There are signs pointing me in the right direction everywhere.

Great color combo! I am gushing over the distressed quality of this sign.

The hand-painted exit sign for the balloon themed ferris wheel.

Although the style of this street sign is not specific to Tivoli, but rather Denmark, I still decided to snap a photo. I love the care that goes into making these street signs, such a difference from the States. Coincidence that the street name is 'quality'? I think not!

A gorgeous hand-painted mural made for the 150th anniversary of Tivoli. Below are some up close shots of the details.


Colors galore!

Here is the baloon themed ferris ride we went on.

Colors so great, even if they have been faded by the sun! Love the crackling paint too!


Seeing all of these light up signs makes me want to snag one from an antique shop in the future.

It would be unfair not to post some images like these, my apologies for not getting a shot of cotton candy! Maybe that will be my excuse to go back?


Love love love this. Nothing more to say.

I need to find this on fabric! I was blown away by the quality of some of the textiles on the wall surfaces in Tivoli.

I hope this is wishing me good luck on my job search!

I want this in stamp form.

I can't tell what I like most about this photograph, the blue and red together or the signage...

There was an entire building with these designs painted on top and it wrapped around the entire building. I love the idea of mixing rounded forms with geometric. You can't tell here but the painted gold sections are actually letter forms.

And last but certainly not least, one letter from the illustrated type Tivoli uses from time to time. I just thought this one was so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment